Ford Galaxy Owners Club Official Forum
August 22, 2017, 04:23:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Help with the development of the Official Ford Galaxy Owners Club by becoming a Club Supporter today

Home Garage   Forum   Help Arcade Search SPEND GP Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2017, 04:23:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Donate
Become a
Donate Today!
Facebook Like
Arcade Champs

Arcade

Air Sk8ing
Latest High Score by
Paul
with 101.00 on
Air Sk8ing
------------------
The Top Players

1 - speedy
Number Of Wins : 39

2 - Silver Surfer
Number Of Wins : 31

3 - The Monk
Number Of Wins : 6

4 - Crunch70
Number Of Wins : 3

5 - Paul
Number Of Wins : 1

6 -

7 - Badake

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: can i make it go faster?  (Read 2732 times)
scooby2k
Registered Member
LX Member

Referrals: 0
GP3.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to scooby2k

« on: September 15, 2007, 08:28:37 PM »

How can i make my TD galaxy go faster as cheaply as possible Huh?
bemmy
Club Supporter
Titanium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

GP323.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to bemmy

Mood:Content
Content

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 08:31:38 PM »

Jack the back up so it's permanently driving down hill!  LMAO

scooby2k
Registered Member
LX Member

GP3.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to scooby2k

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »

nice one i think it might need a bit more than that though
bemmy
Club Supporter
Titanium Member

GP323.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to bemmy

Content

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 08:47:07 PM »

Sorry m8 couldn't resist it!

Daz would probably be the best one to suggest something. I've seen power upgrade chips on flea-bay, don't know if there any good or what side effects there may be, there's also engine re-mapping again Daz is probably best one to ask.

Best of luck.

Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

Referrals: 2
GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 08:53:37 PM »

The best way to increase the performance on your TDI is to have the engine ECU remapped.

Typical gains are +35/40 bhp and 80/100 nm torque. These can be in the region of £300-350.

Failing that, there are so-called 'chips' on ebay claiming similar gains that plug in to the fuel temperature sender. These are around £65 iirc but, the best and proper way is the remap route.

I don't know your budget but, I think £350 isn't too much for the gains that can be produced.

To help us help you, please don't use the PM system to request technical help, as the messages may be missed. If you post a topic on the forum, I will endeavour to help and it will give others the opportunity to help also. It also allows the forum to become a comprehensive information database. Thank you.
bemmy
Club Supporter
Titanium Member

GP323.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to bemmy

Content

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 08:58:34 PM »

Daz, if you go down the re-map route would you also have to upgrade the brakes and suspension to handle the extra power and would you have to tell the insurance company as well?

Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 09:45:41 PM »

As with anything you upgrade on your motor, you should tell your insurance company. Wink

The brakes, imho, on the Galaxy do a very good job. In view of the weight of it and the fact it is capable of carrying 7 people and possible luggage, I don't see the need to upgrade the brakes. Unless, of course, you are fully laden and driving like a complete lunatic all of the time. You could say, when I put a roof box on and an unbraked trailer, due to the added weight, the brakes should be upgraded.

As for the suspension, it would certainly benefit from lowered and uprated springs. Too much body roll but, it is like that as standard anyway.

There could be so many arguements for and against upgrading brakes and suspension. Overall, extra power is more on the acceleration and not the overall speed of the vehicle. The topend speed will be the same, it will just get there slightly quicker. The good thing about the remap is the torque figures. It transforms the drive of the Galaxy TDI mid range which improves overtaking mainly.

To help us help you, please don't use the PM system to request technical help, as the messages may be missed. If you post a topic on the forum, I will endeavour to help and it will give others the opportunity to help also. It also allows the forum to become a comprehensive information database. Thank you.
fordpwr
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 10:16:39 PM »

we do currently have a deal in the members deals and discounts tdi remaps £300.00 Wink
Paul
Club Secretary & Webmaster
Administrator
Titanium Member

England England

Referrals: 4
GP577334.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Paul

Mood:Happy
Happy

P.Greenhalgh PaulG9LXY
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 11:47:19 PM »

Quote:
Sent by Daz on September 15, 2007, 09:45:41 PM
The topend speed will be the same, it will just get there slightly quicker. The good thing about the remap is the torque figures. It transforms the drive of the Galaxy TDI mid range which improves overtaking mainly.

I can vouch for the increased acceleration following a decent remap. I think Daz is still wiping my smelly stuff off his passenger seat LMAO

As well as remaps there are the usual things to aid slight bhp/torque improvements. Performance air filter and exhaust system being the most common. There are a few companies about that make different panel filters as well as cone induction kits for both the petrol and diesel Galaxies. £40 will get you the panel filter and £80 for a cone induction system. If going for the panel filter then experienced boy racer tuners talk about also drilling the airbox (beneath where the filter sits) to aid with extra air intake. I've recently done this and there does seem to be a slightly better initial response when hoofing it. Just make sure that you drill the wing side of the air box so that you aren't drawing in hot air radiating from the exhaust manifold!

I've also recently priced up a replacement cat back performance exhaust system from Powerflow Exhausts. For a custom built stainless steel cat-back with twin 3" exit pipes poking out of the back will cost around £280. They make the exhaust while you wait to your spec - you choose the type of exit pipes you want and what sort of noise you want to achieve and they design the exhaust around your wishes. They can even manufacture twin exit systems that will give you 2 twin exit points on either side of the back of the car. Nice! I compared their price for the system I'd be after to a standard cat back exhaust fitted from Kwik Fit and it was only £50 more.

Most people claim that with a performace filter and exhaust combination you can add around 10bhp and certainly improve the sound and probably the fuel consumption also. Add this to a remap and you'll be pushing 185bhp from a 1.9 diesel engine. Grin

Current

Previous

Has The Official Ford Galaxy Owners Club helped you or saved you money?
Please consider BECOMING A CLUB SUPPORTER to help with the development of your club

FGOC on Facebook   .::.    FGOC on Twitter

We cannot go back and start a new beginning, but we can start today and make a new ending.
Air Sk8ingAir Sk8ing
Abs_N
Registered Member
Zetec Member

GP34.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Abs_N

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 05:16:41 PM »

Hi

Will the remap of the tdi engine increase the fuel efficiecy ?

Cool
fordpwr
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 05:22:11 PM »

some have different views on this

but if your having a remap for more power i think the answer would be no it wouldnt.

little daz has had the remap done so he will put hs own answer to this thread later Wink
simon2.3
Registered Member
Zetec Member

Referrals: 1
GP0.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to simon2.3
my new decal

Google Talk
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 07:54:14 PM »

blimey cephues that's cheap for a cat back exhaust system :jawdrop:i see you've done what i've done to mine with the drilled airbox makes a nice sound doesn't it. Grin

if can't afford a ford you can't afford
Paul
Club Secretary & Webmaster
Administrator
Titanium Member

England England

Referrals: 4
GP577334.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Paul

Mood:Happy
Happy

P.Greenhalgh PaulG9LXY
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 08:35:31 PM »

I haven't really noticed much of a difference in the sound, but I am still using the standard air filter (minus the cotton wool from the bottom). There is certainly a better initial pick-up and throttle response, so will be looking for a performance panel filter in the not too distant Smiley

Current

Previous

Has The Official Ford Galaxy Owners Club helped you or saved you money?
Please consider BECOMING A CLUB SUPPORTER to help with the development of your club

FGOC on Facebook   .::.    FGOC on Twitter

We cannot go back and start a new beginning, but we can start today and make a new ending.
Air Sk8ingAir Sk8ing
simon2.3
Registered Member
Zetec Member

Referrals: 1
GP0.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to simon2.3
my new decal

Google Talk
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 08:55:36 PM »

i haven't a filter yet still on standard but i will be interested to see how you get on with an upgrade Thumbs Up

if can't afford a ford you can't afford
Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 08:59:06 PM »

Quote:
Sent by Abs_N on September 18, 2007, 05:16:41 PM
Hi

Will the remap of the tdi engine increase the fuel efficiecy ?

Cool

Honest answer, I don't think so. However, I still returned 40mpg on run from Barmouth to Stafford and that wasn't trying to keep the economy down! Wink

I feel, if you are looking to increase the power of your engine, you are not that bothered about economy. As the remap ups the boost pressure of the turbo, this will have a negative effect on the economy. There is the belief that due to the extra torque gains, you don't have to apply as much throttle because the engine is pulling better, hence better fuel economy. If you think about, how is the torque gained? By increasing the fuelling and boost.

The good thing about the TDI remap is the extra power/torque when you need it with the bonus of still decent mpg.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

© 2007-2017 Ford Galaxy Owners Club
No part of this forum may be copied without express written permission

Ford and Galaxy logos used with permission and under licence from Ford Motor Company

Lo-Fi Version .::. Privacy Policy