Ford Galaxy Owners Club Official Forum
August 22, 2017, 04:24:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the OFFICIAL Ford Galaxy Owners Club Forum!
Viewing this forum as a Guest? Register for FREE to gain further access and join in on the forum.

Home Garage   Forum   Help Arcade Search SPEND GP Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2017, 04:24:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Donate
Become a
Donate Today!
Facebook Like
Arcade Champs

Arcade

Air Sk8ing
Latest High Score by
Paul
with 101.00 on
Air Sk8ing
------------------
The Top Players

1 - speedy
Number Of Wins : 39

2 - Silver Surfer
Number Of Wins : 31

3 - The Monk
Number Of Wins : 6

4 - Crunch70
Number Of Wins : 3

5 - Paul
Number Of Wins : 1

6 -

7 - Badake

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Enabling Global Open/Close of windows via remote and more!  (Read 17408 times)
Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Referrals: 2
GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« on: September 16, 2007, 12:27:28 PM »

I know this question is often asked with no-one having a definite answer.

Well, after persistent pestering from a certain member (you know who you are Wink), I have researched and tested to see if this can be done. The answer is a definite..YES!

However, this testing is in it's infancy and I can only tell you which Galaxys I can enable it on by actually doing it. It will definitely not work on the MK3 Galaxy!

So far, I have enabled it on a 2002 & 2004 MK2 Ghia, 2002 & 2006 MK2 Zetec and a 1999 MK1 Ghia. So initial signs are good! Smiley
Unfortunately, I don't think this will work on any pre-Sept 1997 models as they use a different Central Locking system. Until I try one, I won't know

Interestingly, when researching this, I have found there are other options that can be enabled.

These are:

• Single door opening: One button press on the remote unlocks the driver's door only with a second press needed to unlock the other doors.
  • Anti-Hijack: Central Locking locks at speed (approx 15mph)
  • Remote Global Open/Close Windows: Holding unlock button on remote opens the electric windows and holding lock button closes them
  • Unlock when removing ignition key: This feature is useful if you have enabled Anti-Hijack. When you remove the ignition key, the doors unlock
  • Acknowledgement of locking with horn sound: When you lock, the indicators flash as standard. You can make the alarm horn beep aswell (if fitted)

If you are still unsure what these functions are, you can witness them by viewing these videos. Listen closely when viewing the GlobalOpenClose video, you'll here the alarm horn beep when pressing the remote lock button.

Remote Global Opening and Closing

Anti-Hijack Auto Locking

Unlock on Key Removal

For a full list and how to carry out these additional functions, you will have to download my How To guide in the FAQ section. For this, you will need to be a Club Supporter and then you need to PM myself or another Mod or Admin for the password.

How To Guide

The procedure does require an amount of computer and diagnostic ability. If you are not confident about your ability to carry this out, then I suggest you don't attempt it. There is an alternative to carrying out yourself, the FGOC has various meets around the year and I try to attend most of them. I will always take my laptop and will gladly attempt this for you. All you have to do is attend the meet. Wink

You will need a laptop that will boot into pure DOS and has a serial port. It will not work under Windows XP or with a USB lead. Laptops with Windows 98 will work as they are able to boot in to DOS after making a Startup Disk. You will need to boot your laptop from the Startup Disk not the Win98 GUI.

If you have any questions, please post them here and I will try to help.

To help us help you, please don't use the PM system to request technical help, as the messages may be missed. If you post a topic on the forum, I will endeavour to help and it will give others the opportunity to help also. It also allows the forum to become a comprehensive information database. Thank you.

Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 08:56:55 PM »

I am sure Vagcom has the ability to do everything VDS Pro can do but, Ross-Tech choose not to include it in their software.

Various VAG group cars can have their ECU coding changed to allow additional features which Vagcom can do but, not the Galaxy Sad

The EEPROM has to be rewritten on the Galaxy MFU which Vagcom cannot do. This is only possible with VDS Pro. VDS Pro is a DOS based program, so will not run under a standard Windows GUI, I know...I tried!

If you want to carry out the upgrades then I am sorry but, Vagcom won't do it, only single door opening as per the FAQ Topic.

To help us help you, please don't use the PM system to request technical help, as the messages may be missed. If you post a topic on the forum, I will endeavour to help and it will give others the opportunity to help also. It also allows the forum to become a comprehensive information database. Thank you.
nickcockman
Registered Member
LX Member

Referrals: 0
GP8.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to nickcockman

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 09:38:23 PM »

I am trying out VDS-PRO, but can't seem to get it to connect.  I have this suspicion that the com port isn't properly setup on my laptop when I boot into DOS.  Can I just confirm that if the serial cable I have works fine with VAGCOM that it should work fine with VDS-PRO?  I tried all the available baud rates with no success Angry

Ta Smiley

PS - very good how-to guide Daz.  The numbers you add on are all to do with binary bits and then the ecu program will apply a mask on that byte to read out the flag (I would guess).  So decimal 17 would be 00010001 in binary, where each 'bit' represents a flag for something (like enable full closure on the remote).  You need to be careful not to just add on the extra numbers in case you already have something already on - if you see what I mean - you should convert to binary to work out what you have, turn on the appropriate bits, and convert back to decimal Smiley I am guessing you probably already know all this Grin Did you get hold of the MFU spec to work out which address to modify in the eeprom and what values to enter, or did someone give you a tip off? Wink  Also, whilst i'm here... Wink ... with VDS-PRO, can you do a full eeprom read and get a dump of all the 'maps' etc, or are these held somewhere else that VDS-PRO can't get to?  Cheers, Nick

2003 Ford Galaxy tdi 115
Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 10:21:53 PM »

Quote:
Sent by nickcockman on August 03, 2008, 09:38:23 PM
I am trying out VDS-PRO, but can't seem to get it to connect.  I have this suspicion that the com port isn't properly setup on my laptop when I boot into DOS.  Can I just confirm that if the serial cable I have works fine with VAGCOM that it should work fine with VDS-PRO?  I tried all the available baud rates with no success Angry

Firstly Nick, check your laptops COM port allocation. If you have COM port 1, it must say this in the VD.CFG file and if it is COM port 2, then it has to be COM port 2 and so on.

If you have no success with using 'try' as the 'startbaud', then use 'fixed' and 'baudfixed' as '10472'. This is the baudrate of the MFU.

One thing I have found, especially when doing a 99 Gal yesterday, it was necessary to start the VDS Pro program with the ignition off, then switch it on once loaded.

Quote:
The numbers you add on are all to do with binary bits and then the ecu program will apply a mask on that byte to read out the flag (I would guess).  So decimal 17 would be 00010001 in binary, where each 'bit' represents a flag for something (like enable full closure on the remote).  You need to be careful not to just add on the extra numbers in case you already have something already on - if you see what I mean - you should convert to binary to work out what you have, turn on the appropriate bits, and convert back to decimal Smiley I am guessing you probably already know all this

This concerns me! Why would you want to complicate further an already complicated process? There is no need to convert anything to binary when the VDS Pro GUI does all this for you. In the FAQ, I have stated the values you need to change to add functions. So, if you know what functions you would like enabled, add the relevant value(s). Yes, I totally agree, if you add an erroneous value, you are likely to cause problems, which is why I kept it as simple as possible and state you do so at your own risk!

Quote:
Did you get hold of the MFU spec to work out which address to modify in the eeprom and what values to enter, or did someone give you a tip off? Wink 

I used my own ability to source the relevant info! Wink

Quote:
Also, whilst i'm here... Wink ... with VDS-PRO, can you do a full eeprom read and get a dump of all the 'maps' etc, or are these held somewhere else that VDS-PRO can't get to?  Cheers, Nick

Phew, so many questions! No, you cannot download the eeprom in VDS Pro.

nickcockman
Registered Member
LX Member

GP8.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 09:55:58 AM »

Thanks for the extra info Darren.  Yeah, you are probably right about the binary thing - I was just getting carried away  Grin

I had another go with a different laptop.  Didn't seem to want to connect, but tried turning the ignition on after loading it up, and managed to get it to connect... but...
I don't seem to get all the options on the 09 MFU page - they only go up to 15!! Sad

[ IMAGE NOT SHOWN - GUESTS CANNOT VIEW ATTACHED IMAGES ]

Any ideas?  Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but my global closing of the windows with the key works fine, but the opening only opens the drivers window Sad  Also my change brake pad light is on, but can't think this even makes it to the ECU! Smiley

This is the about page for the VDS-PRO app that I am using (I downloaded it from the link you placed in this thread).

[ IMAGE NOT SHOWN - GUESTS CANNOT VIEW ATTACHED IMAGES ]

Thanks,
Nick
PS - VDS-PRO is now definitely talking to the car as I can get measured values for things and check fault codes etc.

2003 Ford Galaxy tdi 115
Al
Club Supporter
Titanium Member

Referrals: 1
GP291.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Al

Mood:Scared
Scared

alexanderwaite
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 12:57:34 PM »

Nick, thought i best let you know Darren is on Holiday at the moment until the 17th and is the only person who can help you out with this software.

Wink

I have VAGCOM (unregistered) and am willing to scan other members vehicles - just PM me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

nickcockman
Registered Member
LX Member

GP8.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 01:51:38 PM »

Thanks bigal Smiley  In the mean time, I'll see if google can shed any light on VDS-PRO...
ta.

2003 Ford Galaxy tdi 115
nickcockman
Registered Member
LX Member

GP8.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 09:08:46 PM »

Google is my friend!  Cheesy

The config file VD.CFG that comes with the software contains some settings that means you can't access the memory.  I found a working version of the config online and pasted it into mine, and all works perfectly Smiley  Here are the config lines that work for me!

Screen           Color
COMPort          1
StartBaud        Fixed
BaudFixed        9600
BaudTry_1        10472
BaudTry_2        9600
BaudTry_3        4800
BaudTry_4        2400
BaudTry_5        1200
BaudTry_6        600
t_r0_usec        2500000
t_r4_usec        40000
t_r6_usec        1000
t_r6_ack_usec    1000
t_r6max_usec     150000
t_rb_usec        60000
t_rb_ack_usec    30000
t_rb_idle_usec   600000
t_rbmax_usec     1100000
t_rkmax_usec     800000
StartAddress     00000001
ConnectRetries   3
TimeStamp        5351883
NewMWGroupPreAck JA
AbortDebugMsgs   NEIN
HugeMWDisplay    JA
HexMWDisplay     NEIN
LogTimeStamp     NoStamp
LogMode          Symbolic
LogCount         2569235
LogFileMode      Request
LogBuffer        LogBufferKb
LogBufferKb      32
LogFirstID       JA

It is also worth noting that to get a reliable connection you should start up VDS-PRO and hit escape to stop it trying to get a connection to 01, then plug the lead in and turn on the ignition.  Now when you try and connect to the MFU it should work.  You will obviously need the right COM port and baud rate!  Grin

All my galaxy windows now close with a second push (and hold) of the locking with remote key fob, and some  Angry of the windows open with the second push (and hold) of the unlocking with the remote key fob.  I say only some of the windows open - the rear quarter ones don't pop out (this is normal behaviour) but the front driver window will not play ball Sad  No idea what is up with this window - it doesn't work properly from the door lock either!  Angry

I also have a little toot on the horn when you lock the doors.  I tried out the unlock toot, but it does a double toot and this might get annoying after a while - especially if you unlock it a second time and get a couple more toots!  Grin

2003 Ford Galaxy tdi 115
Paul
Club Secretary & Webmaster
Administrator
Titanium Member

England England

Referrals: 4
GP577334.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Paul

Mood:Happy
Happy

P.Greenhalgh PaulG9LXY
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 11:20:38 PM »

Glad you got it sorted! Nice extra features to have ain't they Wink

Current

Previous

Has The Official Ford Galaxy Owners Club helped you or saved you money?
Please consider BECOMING A CLUB SUPPORTER to help with the development of your club

FGOC on Facebook   .::.    FGOC on Twitter

We cannot go back and start a new beginning, but we can start today and make a new ending.
Air Sk8ingAir Sk8ing
nickcockman
Registered Member
LX Member

GP8.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 10:21:39 AM »

Just been browsing the german sharan/alhambra/galaxy site and found a reference to some other eeprom addresses that can be tweaked.  Although they are untested apparently - anyone feeling brave? Wink  It's stuff like the duration of the horn beep, and the speed that triggers the door locking.

http://www.sgaf.de/viewtopic.php?t=61776

Google translator here:
http://translate.google.com/translate_t?sl=de&tl=en

2003 Ford Galaxy tdi 115
Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 11:20:44 AM »

Quote:
Sent by nickcockman on August 23, 2008, 10:21:39 AM
Although they are untested apparently - anyone feeling brave? Wink 

Let us know how you get on then Nick. Wink Grin

These extra features are mainly tweaking other features which you already have or have enabled. As there aren't many members that have tried this mod, I doubt anyone will be bothered about altering the other features Undecided.

matt-newman
Registered Member
LX Member

GP300.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to matt-newman

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 02:48:36 PM »

Hi All,

Ive done all the reading of this and other posts. I have just a couple of questions which I need to know the answer to before I go and buy a lead etc.

I currently have a laptop which runs Windows Vista. Is there any way to boot my laptop into pure DOS (i.e. by using some kind of boot CD)?

The other thing is that my laptop does not have a serial port, but I have seen that you can buy Serial USB adaptor leads, will these work in the same way a a serial port for the purposes of this exercise?

Cheers

Matt
Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 09:08:39 PM »

I think you'll have trouble with what you're asking.

I couldn't get my XP laptop to boot in to DOS and found the only option was to buy myself a cheap laptop with WIN 98 on it. However, I partitioned that laptop and dual-booted XP and WIN98, which worked fine. Also, there is no way of getting the USB to work as this needs drivers which aren't available in DOS, so I think this won't work.

George106
Basic Member
Zetec Member

GP276.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to George106

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 07:12:47 PM »

Hi,

I finally bought and got working laptop with COM port, had some fun setting everything and successfully changed some setting via VDS-PRO.

Just to help others to sort DOS problem on laptops running WIN XP Prof I managed to burn MS-DOS 6.22 boot CD from this website and using this CD I have booted in simple DOS environment. Then swapped CD with MS-DOS for CD with VDS-PRO in CD-ROM, typed r: (originally a:) and then found and executed vdc_e.exe.

I have experienced same problem as nickcockman (options on the 09 MFU page up to 15). I have modified vd.cfg as nick mentioned before but what I would change is Startbaud  from Fixed to Try otherwise program does not scan any other than 9600 baudrate (you can always change all this settings in the program but it is easier to change it before you burn it to the CD) - see attachment.

I also had to enable serial port in BIOS which was disabled by default.

I am willing to scan with Vag com or change this settings via VDS-Pro in Southampton area.

George

PS: If you want to use attached file, please change extension from vd.txt --> vd.cfg. (I could not upload *.cfg file)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:38:08 AM by George106 » Logged

2004 1.9 tdi 130ps Ford Galaxy Ghia blue

VCDS - Lite (REGISTERED) scans/coding in Southampton area.
Paul
Club Secretary & Webmaster
Administrator
Titanium Member

England England

Referrals: 4
GP577334.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Paul

Mood:Happy
Happy

P.Greenhalgh PaulG9LXY
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 10:36:42 AM »

Thumbs Up

Nice one George! Thanks for reporting your findings too. Being able to boot into Dos on a laptop while keeping the usual micro$oft OS on board certainly makes things easier for others to give it a go!

Current

Previous

Has The Official Ford Galaxy Owners Club helped you or saved you money?
Please consider BECOMING A CLUB SUPPORTER to help with the development of your club

FGOC on Facebook   .::.    FGOC on Twitter

We cannot go back and start a new beginning, but we can start today and make a new ending.
Air Sk8ingAir Sk8ing
stoneblade
Registered Member
LX Member

GP17.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to stoneblade

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 03:35:50 PM »

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the above info, now have all of the settings enabled on my gal.

Quick question, I hear that the "miles left in tank" option can be enabled via this method.  Does anyone know how to do this, would be helpful to know whats left.

Thanks again
Rob

Anyone needing Vag com, will help anyone in cornwall region. Both USB/Serial Connection

Current Project
In Car PC (in dash touch screen) putting together how to guide.
Respray rusty panels

Projects complete to date:
Refurb Alloys
Renew all brakes
EGR replaced
Wiring loom replaced

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

© 2007-2017 Ford Galaxy Owners Club
No part of this forum may be copied without express written permission

Ford and Galaxy logos used with permission and under licence from Ford Motor Company

Lo-Fi Version .::. Privacy Policy