Ford Galaxy Owners Club Official Forum
September 25, 2017, 01:42:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the OFFICIAL Ford Galaxy Owners Club Forum!
Viewing this forum as a Guest? Register for FREE to gain further access and join in on the forum.

Home Garage   Forum   Help Arcade Search SPEND GP Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2017, 01:42:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Donate
Become a
Donate Today!
Facebook Like
Arcade Champs

Arcade

Tetris2
Latest High Score by
supersonic
with 68.00 on
Tetris2
------------------
The Top Players

1 - speedy
Number Of Wins : 38

2 - Silver Surfer
Number Of Wins : 36

3 - supersonic
Number Of Wins : 6

4 - The Monk
Number Of Wins : 6

5 - Crunch70
Number Of Wins : 3

6 - Paul
Number Of Wins : 1

7 -

8 - Badake

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Brake pads, discs and calipers! - not really technical  (Read 3953 times)
Hannah
Registered Member
LX Member

Referrals: 0
GP0.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Hannah

Mood:Confused
Confused

« on: April 03, 2008, 01:56:39 PM »

Hi

This is not really a technical question as the garage are doing the work (I only wish I had the skills, knowledge, garage and tools to do my own!) Anyway, I think my rear brake pads are being replaced and possibley the discs.  He also mentioned the possibility of the calipers having ceased up or something (or stuck to the brake pads).

Now the garage seem good and they charge £40 an hour and he said the brake pads (if it is just them) woud be an hours work.

The whole caliper thing scared me! If I need new calipers is this a really expensive job?  I know I shoudl have asked him but I sort of got a bit confused and then the call was ended.  I hope they won't need replacing and I trust the garage I have sent it to, but has anybody any idea?

Sorry if this is another dumb question from me!

I have been really unlucky with this car, but I still absolutely love my galaxy and I don't want to change it. So far, any problems I have had, have been becasue of people, not the parts!

By the way, it is the 1.9 Diesel TDi - 2001 (mark 2) galaxy.  Unfortunatley, having looked at the post about tax, it seems I am just inside the new car tax prices! oh dear....

Thanks
Hannah
dave-jens
Registered Member
Zetec Member

GP92.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to dave-jens

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 09:45:19 PM »

Wink

Basically the front and rear calipers are single, sliding piston design to ensure equal effort is applied through both brake pads.

I have never hear of calipers needing replacing. They are usually cast alloy/steal, they are "U" shape and fit around your disc brake. Pads on either side of the disc are attached to the calliper but they should allow movement in and out when the hydrolic pistons apply preasure. When they sieze, it is usually the brake dust that cakes the callipers and stops the movement between components as they should.

( Not to different to a push bike if you think of how the caliper moves depending on how the pads contact the wheel. If the caliper is seized you find the brake pad hits one side first, but then the calliper should move a little as the other pad pushes up)

Cleaning all the dust and "crap" enables free movement of the callipers and the pads, that is what he means by being stuck to them, so dont worry about replacement, it will be just cleaning all the muck out that brake dust creates.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:03:34 PM by dave-jens » Logged
Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Referrals: 2
GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 10:57:27 PM »

Quote:
Sent by Hannah on April 03, 2008, 01:56:39 PM
He also mentioned the possibility of the calipers having ceased up or something (or stuck to the brake pads).

It is quite rare for the caliper's pistons to seize. I do hope they know that the pistons need rotating when they are being pushed back to enable pad replacement. If they don't, this could lead them to think the calipers have seized.

Something that is very common on the Galaxy is for the sliding pins on the caliper carrier (the component that holds the pads in place) seize up causing the caliper to seize on because it can't release.

As for the tax, the worst you'll pay is £210 in 2010, not too bad.......you're probably paying £170 now Wink

To help us help you, please don't use the PM system to request technical help, as the messages may be missed. If you post a topic on the forum, I will endeavour to help and it will give others the opportunity to help also. It also allows the forum to become a comprehensive information database. Thank you.
Hannah
Registered Member
LX Member

GP0.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Hannah

Confused

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 08:27:19 AM »

Thanks very much - I felt better for reading your message

Car is still making a wierd  noise after having new brake pads and dics on back, but he said he checked all the brakes so I will take it back and hopefully it is something and nothing and soemthign catching or something.

A couple of garages have mentioned my cam belt might need changing soon. i have don 60,000 miles.  I know this is seomthing you would normally look upin the owners guide but I bought my car without one and despite ordering the guide with Ford a couple of times it has not turned up and I have been outbid a couple of times on ebay.

Apparently to change the belt it will be £250. I know that it isreally important and would cost a lot more to fix if I did not do it when necessary.  I also understand that changing it is quite a big job so this seems fair to me, but can anybody confirm that this is normally the mileage you would change the belt at?  I am driving to France in car in August so I dont want to take any chances! (not that I would want to anyway with the lovely galaxy!)
Thanks
Han
mac the knife
Ultima Member

GP287.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to mac the knife

Mood:Relaxed
Relaxed

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 09:04:40 AM »

If you speak to Daz, the company he works for do the cambelt change for £249 and provide a very good service Wink a few people on here have had there Gals done there, when i eventually get mine back from bodyshop i will be taking mine there for a service, it is based in stafford so not that far from you me thinks.

Paul
Club Secretary & Webmaster
Administrator
Titanium Member

England England

Referrals: 4
GP577342.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Paul

Mood:Happy
Happy

P.Greenhalgh PaulG9LXY
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 01:18:14 PM »

There is still a bit of confusion as to whether the PD engined Galaxies should have the timing belt replaced at 40,000 or 60,000 miles - the interval has been changed a couple of times and we're trying to find out for definite which variations/years of these engines should have the belt changed an which interval.

Current

Previous

Has The Official Ford Galaxy Owners Club helped you or saved you money?
Please consider BECOMING A CLUB SUPPORTER to help with the development of your club

FGOC on Facebook   .::.    FGOC on Twitter

We cannot go back and start a new beginning, but we can start today and make a new ending.
Air Sk8ingAir Sk8ing
DAVE727
Registered Member
Zetec Member

GP134.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to DAVE727

Happy

counting down the days and saving hard

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 01:26:02 PM »

If it helps mine is a 2002 on a 52 plate and 1.9 TDi 115 bhp and my is due every 40,000 miles and will be going to Daz at Stafford Audi a lot cheaper than round here and you cannot put a price on trust... I will also be having water pump done as well as it coming up to 80,000 and worth doing while in for cambelt...

Dave
mac the knife
Ultima Member

GP287.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory

Relaxed

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 02:06:24 PM »

i have a 2001 Gal and the cambelt change is every 40,000 miles , could this be altered to 60,000 miles by fitting the 60,000 mile interval parts? or is there a lot more involved ?

Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 09:41:57 PM »

I think the only uncertainty with this is when the belt change went to 60K miles. A 2001 will definitely have a 40K change interval, it is knowing exactly when the change went to 60K.......we know it is in 2004 but, not exactly when. I believe it is May 2003(ish).

As for your theory Ray, the parts used for the change at 40K and 60K are the same!! Go figure!! Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:38:30 PM by littledaz » Logged

To help us help you, please don't use the PM system to request technical help, as the messages may be missed. If you post a topic on the forum, I will endeavour to help and it will give others the opportunity to help also. It also allows the forum to become a comprehensive information database. Thank you.
DAVE727
Registered Member
Zetec Member

GP134.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to DAVE727

Happy

counting down the days and saving hard

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 11:09:38 PM »

Does that mean after you do mine i could go for 60,000 mile before doing it again??

or is the interval to do with other parts of the engine....my god it's confusing ?Confused? Scream
Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 11:46:33 PM »

Quote:
Sent by DAVE727 on April 07, 2008, 11:09:38 PM
Does that mean after you do mine i could go for 60,000 mile before doing it again??

or is the interval to do with other parts of the engine....my god it's confusing ?Confused? Scream

Right, simple answer is NO Dave. You cannot veer away from the manufacturer's recommendation even if the old belt has been superseded by the later belt. ::)There will be engine modifcations aswell as the belt change.

However, I think we can put this to bed now. I was nearly right with my thoughts but, I was a year out on the change to 60K. It is May 2003 (I have edited my previous post to show this).

If you select your Galaxy in the Fordetis website, you will see the cambelt interval is 40K upto 05/2003 and 60K from 06/2003. This fits in with VW where they state the cambelt is 60K in MY04 Sharans, which starts from 05/2003. Ford do state though the cambelt should be changed at 5 years regardless of mileage.

Also, bear in mind, these are manufacturing dates and not registration dates.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:06:25 AM by littledaz » Logged

Malkyp
Club Supporter
Ghia Member

GP305.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Malkyp

Mood:Content
Content

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 11:56:15 AM »

Please excuse my ignorance but is it just the diesel engined Galaxies that have cambelts?  If not which others have them please?

Member of the S.S. Zorst Club
Loz
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 02:04:09 PM »

2.0 + 2.2  have timing chains - deisels  and anything above have timing belts, this is for mk1 galaxys - not sure on mk2s ..one of the others may tell you more about the - timing belt info..
Hannah
Registered Member
LX Member

GP0.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Hannah

Confused

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 04:56:23 PM »

my goodness, what a can of worms I opended there!. I don't know if the cambelt was changed at 40k on my car anyway, so perhaps I as best just having it done? Better safe than sorry, I intend to keep the car for at least another 3 years or so and I woudl need to do it at 80k if it was done at 40k anyway - at least now it is done until at least 100k

I did ring ford main dealership at one point, they said every 60k for my car, but I don't know how much they looked into it.  They also wanted £370 for a cambelt change, which seemed expensive. They have also just confrimed that the owners guide for my car is not in print anymore and althogh they rang around a few other dealships for me, they can't get one, so I guess I will just have to try harder to win one on ebay.

I would love to take my car to little Daz but I need it to drive to Liverpool (120 mile round trip from my house) most days so I can't really fit in the travel.  I have to take car to garage on a day I can squeeze it in and then get it back ready for next day (whilst working at home in between)

Car is at garage while we speak. Fingers crossed all is well.

Thanks for useful info everyone!

Han

Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 09:48:55 PM »

Quote:
Sent by Hannah on April 08, 2008, 04:56:23 PM
I would love to take my car to little Daz but I need it to drive to Liverpool (120 mile round trip from my house) most days so I can't really fit in the travel.  I have to take car to garage on a day I can squeeze it in and then get it back ready for next day (whilst working at home in between)

We do have loan cars available for situations like this Hannah Wink.

As long as you are sorted, that is all that matters.

Hannah
Registered Member
LX Member

GP0.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Hannah

Confused

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 10:13:31 AM »

thanks Little Daz, that is useful to know for future things.

It is indeed all sorted.

When I went to the garage, they did make me feel better about spending money though because apparently a bloke had been in before me and had a Renault Espace and needed a Cam belt change and Renault had quoted him £2k to do this because the design meant that the engine had to be removed to do this! What a bad design.

Thank goodness we all have galaxies!

(in the end the garage I went to drilled a hole through the body work to release the nut and bolt (the only reason why you had to take the engine out) and did it for £500)
Malkyp
Club Supporter
Ghia Member

GP305.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Malkyp

Mood:Content
Content

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 10:39:01 AM »

Hi  Daz

I've always thought myself lucky that I've never had a car with a cambelt.  Am I right in thinking that my camshaft is chain driven?

Member of the S.S. Zorst Club
mac the knife
Ultima Member

GP287.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory

Relaxed

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 10:40:24 AM »

Quote:
Sent by Daz on April 08, 2008, 09:48:55 PM
Quote:
Sent by Hannah on April 08, 2008, 04:56:23 PM

We do have loan cars available for situations like this Hannah Wink.

As long as you are sorted, that is all that matters.

When i come for my service /mot any chance of an R8 for the day Blush Thumbs Up Cry Laugh

Paul
Administrator
Titanium Member

England England

View Inventory
Send Money to Paul

Happy

P.Greenhalgh PaulG9LXY
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 10:28:57 PM »

I tried and failed with that one Ray  :'( Kiss Grin

Current

Previous

Please consider BECOMING A CLUB SUPPORTER to help with the development of your club

We cannot go back and start a new beginning, but we can start today and make a new ending.
Air Sk8ingAir Sk8ing
Paul
Administrator
Titanium Member

England England

View Inventory
Send Money to Paul

Happy

P.Greenhalgh PaulG9LXY
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 10:57:34 PM »

Quote:
Sent by Malkyp on April 12, 2008, 10:39:01 AM
I've always thought myself lucky that I've never had a car with a cambelt.  Am I right in thinking that my camshaft is chain driven?

Hi Malc,

Yes the VR6 has chain driven overhead camshafts

Current

Previous

Air Sk8ingAir Sk8ing
Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 10:55:45 AM »

Quote:
Sent by mac the knife on April 12, 2008, 10:40:24 AM
When i come for my service /mot any chance of an R8 for the day Blush Thumbs Up Cry Laugh

Errrrm!! Not to be too blunt.......not a chance! Grin

On a serious note though Ray, if you do need transport (A3, A4 or A6, depending on what's available on the day), make sure you give the service advisors enough prior notice, 'cos they book up fairly quickly! Wink

mac the knife
Ultima Member

GP287.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory

Relaxed

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 02:53:47 PM »

Ok Daz thanks for that , had a right result with me discount at ford for all my parts for the service should have been £250.00 but with my discount  £126.50 Yahoo!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

© 2007-2017 Ford Galaxy Owners Club
No part of this forum may be copied without express written permission

Ford and Galaxy logos used with permission and under licence from Ford Motor Company

Lo-Fi Version .::. Privacy Policy