Ford Galaxy Owners Club Official Forum
August 22, 2017, 04:27:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Online Store now open! Click HERE to enter.
Engine bay detailing items now available, along with white/silver dial kits, clothing, mugs, pens, keyrings etc.

Home Garage   Forum   Help Arcade Search SPEND GP Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2017, 04:27:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Donate
Become a
Donate Today!
Facebook Like
Arcade Champs

Arcade

Air Sk8ing
Latest High Score by
Paul
with 101.00 on
Air Sk8ing
------------------
The Top Players

1 - speedy
Number Of Wins : 39

2 - Silver Surfer
Number Of Wins : 31

3 - The Monk
Number Of Wins : 6

4 - Crunch70
Number Of Wins : 3

5 - Paul
Number Of Wins : 1

6 -

7 - Badake

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Which Springs? GMax or FK's  (Read 5264 times)
roadnap
Registered Member
Ultima Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Referrals: 0
GP375.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to roadnap

Mood:Sleepy
Sleepy

best modified mk2 ford fair 09!!

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 11:31:24 AM »

how about this?Huh? lowers car by 45mm. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Galaxy-2-0-2-3-2-8-1-9-lowering-springs-80-1134_W0QQitemZ300202017743QQihZ020QQcategoryZ40192QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

same shop selling g max springs @ £135.99 free posting. i ordered my g max spring from them and ti arrived in 48 hours.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 11:34:31 AM by roadnap » Logged

BagPuss
Club Supporter
Ultima Member

Referrals: 2
GP19.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to BagPuss
Yes, I really am that Gorgeous!

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 11:44:32 AM »

Hmmmm  Huh?
Getting too many choices now  D'oh

GMax sounds good though............

SkyDiving
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "F**k me, what a ride!"
Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 11:59:04 AM »

Quote:
Sent by roadnap on April 19, 2008, 11:31:24 AM
how about this?Huh? lowers car by 45mm. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Galaxy-2-0-2-3-2-8-1-9-lowering-springs-80-1134_W0QQitemZ300202017743QQihZ020QQcategoryZ40192QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

same shop selling g max springs @ £135.99 free posting. i ordered my g max spring from them and ti arrived in 48 hours.

Avoid these! If you look on RaceDynamics website, these are Jamex springs. I tried this company for a set, they couldn't supply and @ £105 for Jamex, damn expensive!

Stick with the Gmax if using this company Wink.

To help us help you, please don't use the PM system to request technical help, as the messages may be missed. If you post a topic on the forum, I will endeavour to help and it will give others the opportunity to help also. It also allows the forum to become a comprehensive information database. Thank you.
roadnap
Registered Member
Ultima Member

GP375.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to roadnap

Sleepy

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 01:17:46 PM »

Daz, does your gmax springs got the brand name printed on the spring??? mine got only a numbers and says front and rear on it im just a bit curious although it comes with the gmax box. Huh? i have a funny feeling they sent me a jamex ones???

this is what i have:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 01:50:57 PM by roadnap » Logged

Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 01:38:52 PM »

Quote:
Sent by roadnap on April 19, 2008, 01:17:46 PM
Daz, does your gmax springs got the brand name printed on the spring??? mine got only a numbers and says front and rear on it im just a bit curious although it comes with the gmax box. Huh?

Can't remember seeing a brand on the springs and agree I think there was only numbers. I can check when mine is next on a ramp.

What are your thoughts for asking the question?

To help us help you, please don't use the PM system to request technical help, as the messages may be missed. If you post a topic on the forum, I will endeavour to help and it will give others the opportunity to help also. It also allows the forum to become a comprehensive information database. Thank you.
Malkyp
Club Supporter
Ghia Member

GP305.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Malkyp

Mood:Content
Content

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 02:24:07 PM »

Hello Daz

When I got my new wheels fitted and put them on display I got this reply from Kelian:-

looks niiiiiice m8......just needs lowering now 

I agree that the lowered cars look nice but what are the other benefits?  The height of the Galaxy poses problems for me when getting my powerchair into the car as the drive wheels lose contact with the ground and I have to use a second ramp as you can see in picture.

Are you still using the original shocks?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:10:57 PM by Malkyp » Logged

Member of the S.S. Zorst Club
roadnap
Registered Member
Ultima Member

GP375.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to roadnap

Sleepy

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 02:31:33 PM »

Quote:
Sent by Daz on April 19, 2008, 01:38:52 PM
Quote:
Daz, does your gmax springs got the brand name printed on the spring??? mine got only a numbers and says front and rear on it im just a bit curious although it comes with the gmax box. Huh?

Can't remember seeing a brand on the springs and agree I think there was only numbers. I can check when mine is next on a ramp.

What are your thoughts for asking the question?

im only concerned they might send me a jamex spring  Wink Cheesy Grin

Paul
Club Secretary & Webmaster
Administrator
Titanium Member

England England

Referrals: 4
GP577334.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Paul

Mood:Happy
Happy

P.Greenhalgh PaulG9LXY
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »

Quote:
Sent by Malkyp on April 19, 2008, 02:24:07 PM

Hello Daz

When I got my new wheels fitted and put them on display I got this reply from Kelian:-

I agree that the lowered cars look nice but what are the other benefits?  The height of the Galaxy poses problems for me when getting my powerchair into the car as the drive wheels lose contact with the ground and I have to use a second ramp as you can see in picture.

Hi Malcolm

Daz is still using the original shocks and is using 50mm lowering springs without any major issues (he had a knocking coming from the front when going over bumps, but sorted this by reseating the springs so they didn't rub.

The benefits are mainly seen at the rear end. The Galaxy is quite high at the back with a large gap between the wheel and the arch (IIRC mine was 95mm before lowering) This has brought it down to about 55mm and lowered the very rear of the car more than this. You can hopefully see the difference it's made here:

As well as lowering the car, it has firmed up the suspension slightly. This has pros and cons. The corner handling is a lot better (stiffer suspension and lower centre of gravity) but it isn't quite as comfy as it used to be over bumps. You lose the wallowing that you get when going over bumps (I always felt like I was driving a waterbed!) but you do feel the bumps through the seat bit more.

For me this is fine as I have quite a padded backside and can put up with the harder ride for the better handling and looks. For you, yes it will lower the back end by around 40-60mm so may make it easier getting the power chair in, but do you want to sacrifice any comfort?

Current

Previous

Has The Official Ford Galaxy Owners Club helped you or saved you money?
Please consider BECOMING A CLUB SUPPORTER to help with the development of your club

FGOC on Facebook   .::.    FGOC on Twitter

We cannot go back and start a new beginning, but we can start today and make a new ending.
Air Sk8ingAir Sk8ing
Malkyp
Club Supporter
Ghia Member

GP305.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Malkyp

Content

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 07:28:15 PM »

Thanx for all of that info Paul and I will give it a lot of thought

I don't think I'll do anything before fitp.  I wonder if anyone with lowered suspension would let me drive my chair into their car to try it.  I want to get the chair loading and removal as simple as possible as soon as I can.

I have pieces of loose carpet so no one's paintwork would be at risk, but if there are no offers I won't be offended.

are we there yet ?
Registered Member
Titanium Member

GP1022.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to are we there yet ?

Mood:Calm
Calm

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 07:51:58 PM »

More than welcome in AWTY Malc Cool

roadnap
Registered Member
Ultima Member

GP375.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to roadnap

Sleepy

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 12:24:15 AM »

me too malc as im lowering my gal before fitp.in my opinion, i think if you lower your gal it will help a bit because the ride hieght will be lower and the incline of the ramp will decrease.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 12:30:22 AM by roadnap » Logged

Daz
Technical Guru
Titanium Member

GP2828.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Daz

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2008, 11:40:21 AM »

Quote:
Daz, does your gmax springs got the brand name printed on the spring??? mine got only a numbers and says front and rear on it im just a bit curious although it comes with the gmax box. Huh? i have a funny feeling they sent me a jamex ones???

this is what i have:

Exactly what I have Wink. I think the only similarity is the sound of the name (Jamex/Gmax). They are different and, judging by the reviews of the Jamex springs on the net, I have not experienced any of the poor feedback they were receiving.

Malc, I know roadnap has offered you a test with your chair in his MK2, I would be willing too although one is probably enough Cheesy. The only thing I will say, in your picture it appears the ramp is resting on the bumper, is this so or is it actually on the boot floor. The only reason I ask is mine has a towbar fitted and has the bumper reinforcement removed. This means my bumper is very flexible and probably wouldn't take the weight Undecided.

Also, have you ever measured the ride height of your Gal before and after you have loaded your chair? Just trying to get a feel for the affect of the weight of the chair on the Galaxy's ride height.

mac the knife
Ultima Member

GP287.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to mac the knife

Mood:Relaxed
Relaxed

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 03:14:37 PM »

Quote:
Sent by Cepheus on April 19, 2008, 06:25:30 PM
Quote:
Sent by Malkyp on April 19, 2008, 02:24:07 PM

Hello Daz

Hi Malcolm

Daz is still using the original shocks and is using 50mm lowering springs without any major issues (he had a knocking coming from the front when going over bumps, but sorted this by reseating the springs so they didn't rub.

The benefits are mainly seen at the rear end. The Galaxy is quite high at the back with a large gap between the wheel and the arch (IIRC mine was 95mm before lowering) This has brought it down to about 55mm and lowered the very rear of the car more than this. You can hopefully see the difference it's made here:

As well as lowering the car, it has firmed up the suspension slightly. This has pros and cons. The corner handling is a lot better (stiffer suspension and lower centre of gravity) but it isn't quite as comfy as it used to be over bumps. You lose the wallowing that you get when going over bumps (I always felt like I was driving a waterbed!) but you do feel the bumps through the seat bit more.

For me this is fine as I have quite a padded backside and can put up with the harder ride for the better handling and looks. For you, yes it will lower the back end by around 40-60mm so may make it easier getting the power chair in, but do you want to sacrifice any comfort?

Paul, just thinking of getting some new wheels/tyres , like the look of your bad boys and was wondering if you had them from rochfords and what size are they and are the tyres XL rated?

Ray
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 03:22:48 PM by mac the knife » Logged

Malkyp
Club Supporter
Ghia Member

GP305.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Malkyp

Content

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 05:45:39 PM »

Daz said
Malc, I know roadnap has offered you a test with your chair in his MK2, I would be willing too although one is probably enough . The only thing I will say, in your picture it appears the ramp is resting on the bumper, is this so or is it actually on the boot floor. The only reason I ask is mine has a towbar fitted and has the bumper reinforcement removed. This means my bumper is very flexible and probably wouldn't take the weight .
Also, have you ever measured the ride height of your Gal before and after you have loaded your chair? Just trying to get a feel for the affect of the weight of the chair on the Galaxy's ride height.

I understand you concern Daz but I have had Galaxies for 6 years now and have always had a towbar and no reinforcement.  The tops of the ramps are always on the floor and I have two extra layers of carpet under them so that there is clearance between the ramps and the bumper at all times.

When I next load up I with take the measurements you suggest.  The load is usually fairly evenly distributed as we often have two chairs and if there is only one it is up against the driving seat.  However the chairs do weigh more than the seats they replace (85k each) so there is more weight on the offside than the nearside.  I would be glad to discuss the whole issue with you at fitp.

Now for one small plea. Pleaaase Pleaaase Pleaaase  I chose the name Malkyp when I joined the club because I quite liked the sound of it.  I’m not quite sure why because all of my life I’ve disliked having my name shortened to Mal or Malc and I’ve always been careful to sign myself Malcolm.  I would be really grateful if you would all call me Malcolm but as I’ve saddled myself with it I’m quite happy to be addressed as Malkyp.

Group hug
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 05:51:18 PM by Malkyp » Logged

BagPuss
Club Supporter
Ultima Member

GP19.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to BagPuss
Yes, I really am that Gorgeous!

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 08:18:20 PM »

Hey Malcolm,

I'm sure if you dislike your "Username" that one of the Admin bods could change it.
I'm not sure if Malcolm is already taken?

It is but..

Last Active:  September 25, 2007, 09:20:02 AM
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 08:20:06 PM by BagPuss » Logged

SkyDiving
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "F**k me, what a ride!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

© 2007-2017 Ford Galaxy Owners Club
No part of this forum may be copied without express written permission

Ford and Galaxy logos used with permission and under licence from Ford Motor Company

Lo-Fi Version .::. Privacy Policy