Ford Galaxy Owners Club Official Forum
August 17, 2017, 12:46:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Online Store now open! Click HERE to enter.
Engine bay detailing items now available, along with white/silver dial kits, clothing, mugs, pens, keyrings etc.

Home Garage   Forum   Help Arcade Search SPEND GP Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 17, 2017, 12:46:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Donate
Become a
Donate Today!
Facebook Like
Arcade Champs

Arcade

Air Sk8ing
Latest High Score by
Paul
with 101.00 on
Air Sk8ing
------------------
The Top Players

1 - speedy
Number Of Wins : 39

2 - Silver Surfer
Number Of Wins : 31

3 - The Monk
Number Of Wins : 6

4 - Crunch70
Number Of Wins : 3

5 - Paul
Number Of Wins : 1

6 -

7 - Badake

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: ford galaxy model history 1995-to now  (Read 63238 times)
fordpwr
« on: February 08, 2007, 07:28:10 PM »

the history of the ford galaxy

the first ford galaxy models where bulit in 1995..
The original Galaxy was the class-leading people carrier of the Nineties, with good use of space, car-like handling, refined performance and the reassurance of the Ford badge (though VW helped develop it). It's a steady seller on the used market, even though it's no longer as fashionable.

the aspen was the entry level on the mk1 back in 1995.with 5 or 7 seat option..
then came the glx with 7 seats as standard,plus swiveling front seats and electrically adjustable heated mirrors.then the ghia version,

in 1996.alloy wheels and a heated windscreen where added. LX and Zetec models replace Aspen and the glx

March 1999. all  galaxys where seven-seaters. Zetec has alloy wheels with locking wheel nuts, electric mirrors, front fog lights. Ghia X models came three-spoke alloy wheels, fog lamps, cruise control, auto temperature control, a CD autochanger and the Ultima has leather upholstery, nine-spoke alloy wheels and traction control. Si models (2.3 and 2.8 V6) look sporty with alloy wheels, side skirts, spoilers, front fog lamps and sports seats. The V6 Si has cruise control. There are also four wheel drive Ghia and Ghia X 2.8 models ..

New these galaxys on a mk 1 would cost £17,932 - £29,478
engines:2.0litre petrol/2.3 petrol 16v/2.8/1.9td
airbags where added to the galaxy range in 1997

The Galaxy range has sold well in all its variants, but the later 110bhp turbo-diesel is preferred over the 90bhp TDi. These TDi engines are Volkswagen-developed, though the 2.0 and 2.3 petrol engines are Ford's own design.

the mk2 galaxy 2000-2006

New Price Range £18,320 - £26,945

there were 5 new engines on the mk2 ,only one of them was a ford engine(2.3)
all the rest were vw lumps..

the handeling on the mk2 is very good,if you drive a mondeo,you will know what i mean..
Servicing is every
12 months/10,000 miles

the model specs on mk2 was entry with the lx,then sport zetec,silver,eleganceand the comfort of the ghia

Front wheel drive galaxy. LX and Zetec (7 seater), Ghia (6 or 7 seats), 1.9 TD (90 or 115bhp turbo-diesel), 2.3 or 2.8 V6 petrol engines. 6 speed gearbox on 1.9 TDi, ABS. LX has air-con. Zetec adds CD autochanger, ultrasonic parking aid, rear reading lights, front foglamps. Ghia has climate control, elec rear windows, computer, driver's seat lumbar adjustment. Ghia V6 also has heated front seats.

mk3 galaxy 2006 on

review to follow

this is just a small model guide,will get more information at  a later date
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:18:39 PM by Cepheus » Logged

BagPuss
Club Supporter
Ultima Member

Referrals: 2
GP19.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to BagPuss
Yes, I really am that Gorgeous!

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 08:42:04 PM »

James,
Hope I can add to this if its ok with you.

Found this info on the Mk.1, Some good pointers  Wink

What's Good
Good styling, low wind noise, decent handling, nice to drive. Up to seven proper seats. 15' 2" long by 7' wide and weighing from 1,585kg. 89bhp TDI 90 takes 10,000 miles to run-in, then goes quite well and delivers 38 mpg fuel economy. Also 109bhp TDI 110 from November 1997 and 113bhp TDI 115 with six-speed VW gearbox from August 2000 facelift. Base engine was old 113bhp twin chain cam 1,998cc four from Sierra, with 143bhp 2,295cc version from February 1999. Big engine was VW's 172bhp 2.8 VR6 with standard 5-speed manual, but often fitted with 4-speed autobox. Facelift V6 has 200 bhp VR6 with 6-speed manual or 5-speed Tiptronic auto. Similar VW Sharan was a Three-Star performer in NCAP crash tests (6 points front impact; 15 points side impact). 'New Edge' face for 2001, on sale in UK from September 2000. See also SEAT Alhambra and VW Sharan. Safety upgrades for 2003 MY. 130bhp TDI 6-speed or 5-speed Tiptronic from 2003. 150bhp version of TDI announced February 2005.

User's website: Ford Galaxy Owners Club Ford had 7th lowest average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 65.51 v/s lowest 31.93) Ford 4th top top of Reliability Index for 2004 combining very low average cost of repair of £207.58 with average 32.16 failures per 100 Warranty Direct policies. Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk

Last updated 18-1-2007
What's Bad
Hard to park. 2.8 VR6 okay in manual form but VR6 autos guzzle fuel.
You have to open the doors to turn the GL's front seats right round. Lots of quality problems.
On early models, water can enter car via ventilation, soak the underfloor and get into the ECU which controls the electric windows and alarm system.
On later models, this ECU has been moved. Aircon vulnerable to front end shunts. Also shifted in later models. TDIs can blow turbos and catalytic converters.
Have also been manual gearbox problems with TDIs. Came last in 'P' reg J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Survey, but by 'R' reg had improved.
Ford dealers unable to work on latest Galaxy 2.8 automatic with the "Tiptronic AG5" gearbox as it is purely VW and they do not have VAG diagnostic equipment. Starting to get reports of Tiptronic valve box failures on Galaxy TDI 115s.
Pre 1999MY key-lock immobiliser models suffer same security design fault as Passats, A4s and early Golf Mk IVs.
Thieves can pop out the lock barrel then use the same screwdriver to turn lock so all the windows open and alarm sensors are disabled. On early Galaxy 2000MY the two rear seats are very difficult to put upright and to remove. The padding was increased in the foam for 2000 models, made them harder to tumble over (or impossible). Aircon problems remain common.
Problems emerging of stretched timing chains on VR6s and chains actually breaking at around 90,000 miles. Air mass meters on TDI 110s can suffer failure through corrosion. Water gets into wiper motors, corroding them. New motors £500. First symptom they will not turn off. Only 82% breakdown free in 2003 Which survey. Brake servo pipes of TDI 90 and 110s can fail leading to lack of servo assistance. Intermittent power loss on TDI 90s and 110s may be due to one of the following:- sticking turbo due to dirty oil; dirty or faulty mass airflow sensor; exhaust gas recircularion solenoid valve sticking open; wastegate valve actuator rod sticking; faulty throttle switches; faulty temperature sensor; loose or leaking brake servo pipe or turbo boost pipe from fuel pump to turbo; faulty ECU. 1995-1997 poor for breakdowns, problems and faults; 1998-2000 average for breakdowns, poor for problems and faults; 2001-2003 average for problems, poor for breakdowns and faults in 2003 Which survey. 9th from bottom out of 137 models in 2003 Top Gear survey. To be replaced by Mondeo/S60 based E-MAX 7-seater in 2006. 2004 Which? quote: "Happier in the local garage than on the open road, the Galaxy can cost you an arm and a leg to run. Lacks loading and storage space, too." Can also suffer ABS failures. Engine mounting bolts of 2.3 litre petrol engines are prone to shearing after 5 - 6 years.
Reconditioned JATCO 5-speed automatic transmissions £850 + VAT from www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk

Replaced by new Galaxy mid 2006.

What to Watch Out For
Make sure 7-seaters are genuine seven-seaters with rearmost area heating and not just 5-seaters with two extra seats clipped in. Make sure recall work carried out. Beware if wipers won't turn off. Vital to check that the aircon works properly as this is a common failure and fixing it can be very expensive. Clonks from the front of a 2.3 petrol model may mean one or more engine mounting bolts have sheared.

JATCO advises owners not to carry out AUTOMATIC transmission fluid changes hemselves because it's difficult to ensure the correct amount is added (the gearbox needs to be run to a specific temperature - This requires diagnostic equipment) and probably they will use the wrong oil, e.g. Land Rover Discovery ATF is different from a Land Rover Freelander, and Jaguar X-Type (Jatco) uses different ATF to a Land Rover Freelander (Jatco).

Reconditioned JATCO automatic transmissions around £1,000 from www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk Factory exchange JATCO automatic transmissions (more expensive) from www.xpartautoservicecentre.com

Reports of failures of 6-speed manual boxes started coming in early 2007.

On TDIs, EGR valve should open to allow carbon dioxide, which acts as a cooling gas) into the combustion chambers when the engine is under load (>30% boost). This allows the combustion chamber temperature to drop and thus the temperature of the exhaust gases. If it sticks in the closed position the exhaust gas temperature will rise causing a) the turbo bearings to fail and b) engine oil into the induction system. This can cause the engine to run on its crankcase oil until it is either stalled or goes bang. Problems with EGR valves in TDI engines are often the cause of rough running when the valve is stuck in the open position as well. In several cases turbos have blown but the EGR valve has not been replaced. Inevitably the new turbo unit will not last long.

Recalls
1996 (April '96-July '96): check for overheating of brake system.
1996 (2-litre with air-conditioning -Jan '95-Feb '96): air conditioning compressor may seize up.
1997 (built Jan '96-Apr '97): check optional child seats.
13-1-2000: 80,000 Galaxys, Alhambras and Sharans VIN TV000001 to YV509825 recalled to check for contamination of brake fluid through master cylinder vent. Brake master cylinders of older cars to be replaced.
23-5-2001: Build dates 1-1-1994 to 5-11-1999 2.0 litre and 2.3 litre petrol models with a/c: when engine rocks the fuel feed and return line may hit the a/c low pressure suction pipe, eventually leading to abraded fuel lines. Fuel lines to be inspected and replaced as necessary and spacer clips to be fitted to all.
6-10-2003: 7,866 Galaxys VINS.....2R to .....3T recalled because wiring for curtain airbags may be transposed. Check and if necessary fit wiring adaptor. TSB at some time between 2005/2006 to replace faulty dual mass flywheels on post 2001 TDIs.

SkyDiving
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "F**k me, what a ride!"
nigelhwilson
Registered Member

Referrals: 0
GP0.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to nigelhwilson

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 04:57:57 PM »

Hello all...
I am proud to be a new member of the FGOC.  I have recently purchased a 1999 2.3 Si.  Doing my research prior to the deal - I found the Parkers guide offered the most information per type.  The history here reads very much the same - but both are wrong! 
My Si does not have alloy wheels as standard.  My dealer, using trade info, assures me they were an option.  Similarly referring to other guides, some state cruise control, heated windscreens, etc - where others say nothing.  My Galaxy has no roof bars but I have had difficulty finding out whether they were an optional accessory.
Would it be a good idea if someone cleverer than me could pool the information from owner's handbooks [or own experience] - listing accurately what each type does have fitted as standard?   
Paul
Club Secretary & Webmaster
Administrator
Titanium Member

England England

Referrals: 4
GP577333.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Paul

Mood:Happy
Happy

P.Greenhalgh PaulG9LXY
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 05:18:18 PM »

This is a great idea Nigel, and one which has been started and is in the collation stages at present. Myself and James (mainly James) are buying up copies of Galaxy sales brochures and handbooks from every year (or part year where significant changes were made) of the Galaxy's production in order to provide a comprehensive library of Galaxy knowledge. Unfortunately though, even these sales brochures/spec sheets can't be relied on 100% as we've found out recently with the MK3 Galaxy and the fiasco of the electric/manual opening rear quarter windows (eh Padraig!) Roll Eyes

Maybe we could compile a list of what we have so far and then if anyone else has a copy or comes across a copy from a year that the club doesn't have, this could be another way of donating to the development of the club?

I'll make a separate post with the paid for Parkers guides from the 2 models I was considering (MK1 2.3i Ghia & 1.9 Zetec)

Current

Previous

Has The Official Ford Galaxy Owners Club helped you or saved you money?
Please consider BECOMING A CLUB SUPPORTER to help with the development of your club

FGOC on Facebook   .::.    FGOC on Twitter

We cannot go back and start a new beginning, but we can start today and make a new ending.
Air Sk8ingAir Sk8ing
colourfulcrew
Registered Member

GP0.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to colourfulcrew
Hazel and Jonnys Galaxy

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 11:14:31 AM »

well all i can say is galaxys are wicked, they serve every purpose and are a pleasure to drive!!!!!!!
Al Wyn
Registered Member
Zetec Member

Referrals: 1
GP119.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Al Wyn

Mood:Okay
Okay

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 08:03:14 PM »

Have to agree when 1st looking for a 7 seater i tried others but they drove like mini buses/vans. The Galaxy was the only one that actually felt like you were in control of and had car type driving charataristics... on the 3rd one looking for the 4th so must be good eh Grin
Paul
Administrator
Titanium Member

England England

View Inventory
Send Money to Paul

Happy

P.Greenhalgh PaulG9LXY
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 07:12:11 AM »

Parkers webste has a great deal of information (not all of it correct though!)

MK1 Info
MK2 Info
MK3 Info

Current

Previous

Please consider BECOMING A CLUB SUPPORTER to help with the development of your club

We cannot go back and start a new beginning, but we can start today and make a new ending.
Air Sk8ingAir Sk8ing
tunes
Registered Member
Zetec Member

GP0.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to tunes

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 12:41:05 AM »

im a bit confused lol (nothing new there)

i just bought a 1998 s reg 2.3 ghia x

it has the five spoke wheels and full leather interior

does that mean its a ultima? or they just had a leather option added??

IF ITS BROKEN, DONT FIX IT, UPGRADE IT!!
Paul
Administrator
Titanium Member

England England

View Inventory
Send Money to Paul

Happy

P.Greenhalgh PaulG9LXY
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 01:40:43 AM »

Ultima was only available in Mica Stone colour. The Ghia X did have a leather option (as did the Ghia) so this will be what yours had Wink

Current

Previous

Air Sk8ingAir Sk8ing
Tiggz
He_who_is_married
Registered Member
Titanium Member

England England

GP78.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Tiggz

Mood:Depressed
Depressed

Now has a toyota!

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 08:23:58 AM »

Quote:
Sent by tunes on September 07, 2008, 12:41:05 AM

My 1998 R reg Ghia X 2.3 has 5 spoke alloys and heated leather! (and electric rear 1/4 light windows  Grin)

Think mine has every option to be fair!

FGOC's Wheeler Dealer!
Discount deals, FAQ's and more are available to club supporters! http://www.fgoc.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,68.0.html
 If there's a deal or discount YOU want to see, PM me, I'll try and sort it!!!
There are so many deals active and free advice, The membership is a must for any galaxy owner, It will pay for itself!!!
Ghia-X
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 08:53:53 AM »

Quote:
Sent by Tiggerz_SRi on September 07, 2008, 08:23:58 AM
Quote:
Sent by tunes on September 07, 2008, 12:41:05 AM

My 1998 R reg Ghia X 2.3 has 5 spoke alloys and heated leather! (and electric rear 1/4 light windows  Grin)

Think mine has every option to be fair!

Do you have  rear parking sensors on yours ? My 4x4 Ghia X has them as standard

How about dual air con ? 
tunes
Registered Member
Zetec Member

GP0.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to tunes

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 11:56:01 AM »

mines got the lot lol dnt think theres anything left that it hasnt got lmao

Ghia-X
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 12:02:27 PM »

Quote:
Sent by tunes on September 07, 2008, 11:56:01 AM
mines got the lot lol dnt think theres anything left that it hasnt got lmao

we will be checking that out after you get it  Grin
tunes
Registered Member
Zetec Member

GP0.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to tunes

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 12:52:31 PM »

wkd stuff mate would be gd to know what it aint got lol

dnt think it got a ejecter seat but that could all change very easily  Grin Grin Grin

Tiggz
He_who_is_married
Registered Member
Titanium Member

England England

GP78.00 Galaxy Points

View Inventory
Send Money to Tiggz

Mood:Depressed
Depressed

Now has a toyota!

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 01:18:25 PM »

Quote:
Sent by Ghia-X on September 07, 2008, 08:53:53 AM

Do you have  rear parking sensors on yours ? My 4x4 Ghia X has them as standard

How about dual air con ? 

Ah no parking sensors other than the tow bar at the back  Grin Cheesy

and climate control not aircon on mine.

FGOC's Wheeler Dealer!
Discount deals, FAQ's and more are available to club supporters! http://www.fgoc.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,68.0.html
 If there's a deal or discount YOU want to see, PM me, I'll try and sort it!!!
There are so many deals active and free advice, The membership is a must for any galaxy owner, It will pay for itself!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

© 2007-2017 Ford Galaxy Owners Club
No part of this forum may be copied without express written permission

Ford and Galaxy logos used with permission and under licence from Ford Motor Company

Lo-Fi Version .::. Privacy Policy